What is a Party Wall Surveyor?

What is a Party Wall Surveyor?

Thursday 4th July 2019

What does a Party Wall Surveyor do?

The Surveyor(s) are responsible for preparing a ""Party Wall Award" in relation to proposed works on / near the party wall, after a Notice has been served.

This Party Wall document better known as an Award:-

  • sets out the work that will be carried out
  • says when and how the work is to be carried out (for example, not at weekends if the buildings are domestic properties)
  • specifies any additional work required (for example necessary protection to prevent damage) could be a retaining wall or strengthening to your foundations etc.
  • often contains a record of the condition of the adjoining property before the work begins (so that any damage to the adjoining land or buildings can be properly attributed and made good)
  • allows access for the surveyor(s) to inspect the works while they're going on (to see that they are in accordance with the award).

It is a good idea to keep a copy of the Award with your property deeds when the works are completed.

This article was written by Carl O'Boyle BSc MRICS FCIOB MFPWS. Carl is a full professional member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, a member of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building for which he currently sits on the CIOB professional conduct committee and adjudications panel.

If you are interested in our Party Wall services then please call us at our office on 0208 426 1448.