Can a building owner act as a Party Wall Surveyor?

Thursday 4th July 2019


The surveyor should have a good knowledge of construction and of administering the Party Wall etc. Act.

A qualified building professional with some experience or knowledge of party wall matters is the best option. The Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors holds details of local qualified party wall surveyors.

The person engaged to supervise the building works for the Building Owner should not be chosen to be the "Agreed Surveyor". It is difficult to be the person responsible for ensuring the completion of the work at the same time as giving full regard to the rights of the neighbours. The neighbour may also be less inclined to agree to jointly appoint a person to resolve a dispute if that person is already engaged by the Building Owner in another capacity.

This article was written by Carl O'Boyle BSc MRICS FCIOB MFPWS. Carl is a full professional member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, a member of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building for which he currently sits on the CIOB professional conduct committee and adjudications panel.

If you are interested in our Party Wall services then please call us at our office on 0208 426 1448.