Building defect analysis
Defects are present in all properties no matter their age, however some defects are worse than others and can be very expensive to put right in older properties. Whether it is subsidence, roof issues, damp, defects etc at Tayross Associates we have a great deal of experience in diagnosing defects and providing advice, remedial measures along with a detailed breakdown of costs to put these right. Below, we've listed a number of defects one can expect to see depending on the property age:
Typical Victorian & Edwardian House Defects:
- Roof and wall spread.
- Springy timber suspended floors (deflection).
- Badly replaced slate roofs-not up to British Standards.
Typical Georgian House Defects:
- Defective roof junctions and valley gutters.
- Rotting timber lintels (bressumers replacement costs).
- Deteriorating brick faces, soft bricks, frost damage and efflorescence, calcification etc.
Typical New Build Extension & House Defects:
- Weak mortar to masonry.
- Defective render.
- Poor workmanship-works not properly snagged.
- Springy floors.
- Failed windows.
- Damp patches on walls.
- Leaking showers.
- Leaking balconies.
- Poor decoration- ghosting and not cut in properly.
Typical Post-war House Defects:
- Asbestos Containing Materials.
- Movement to bay windows.
- Condensation and Mould.
- Wall tie replacement.
- Failure of concrete boot lintels.
- Iron Pyrites through render.
To find out more about our Specific Defect Analysis service, please download one of our sample reports on the 'Resources' page or contact Carl O'Boyle BSc. FCIOB MRICS MFPWS on 020 8426 1448.