Do I have to pay to build on a Party Wall?

Do I have to pay to build on a Party Wall?

Thursday 4th July 2019

Your agreement with the Adjoining Owner, or the Award in the event of a dispute, will set this out.

The general principle in the Act is that the Building Owner who initiated the work pays for it if the works are solely for his benefit. However, there are cases where the Adjoining Owner may pay part of the cost, for example:

  • where work to a party wall is needed because of defects or lack of repair for which the Adjoining Owner may be responsible (in full or in part).
  • where an Adjoining Owner requests that additional work should be done forhis benefit.

Where the dispute resolution procedure is called upon, the award may deal with apportionment of the costs of the work. The dispute procedure may be used specifically to resolve the question of costs if this is the only matter in dispute.
This article was written by Carl O'Boyle BSc MRICS FCIOB MFPWS. Carl is a full professional member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, a member of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building for which he currently sits on the CIOB professional conduct committee and adjudications panel.

If you are interested in our Party Wall services then please call us at our office on 0208 426 1448.