What does a Party Wall Surveyor do?

What does a Party Wall Surveyor do?

Thursday 17th June 2021
Abbie Reid MSc BA Hons MFPWS

The Surveyor(s) are responsible for preparing a "Party Wall Award" in relation to proposed works on / near the Party Wall, after a Notice has been served.

This Party Wall document better known as an Award and it:-

  • sets out the work that will be carried out
  • says when and how the work is to be carried out (for example, not at weekends if the buildings are domestic properties)
  • specifies any additional work required (for example necessary protection to prevent damage) could be a retaining wall or strengthening to your foundations etc.
  • often contains a record of the condition of the adjoining property before the work begins (so that any damage to the adjoining land or buildings can be properly attributed and made good)
  • allows access for the surveyor(s) to inspect the works while they're going on (to see that they are in accordance with the award).

It is a good idea to keep a copy of the Award with your property deeds when the works are completed.

If you are interested in our Party Wall services then please call us at our office on 0208 426 1448.